Thursday, September 23, 2010

What's the story, Grandpa Gorry? At work for NBC with JFK



My grandfather, Elmer Gorry, worked at the National Broadcasting Company (NBC) for quite a few years (Dad, if you're reading this, feel free to chime in with exactly how many if you want!) During that time he had a lot of different position titles and worked on a wide variety of shows, met a lot of people, saw a lot of things, some of which I'm still learning about from my father. This is a photo that came from my grandfather's house that's been sitting in my living room for I guess what must be four years already. The back reads: "Taken March 28, 1961 in the President's Cabinet room for the JFK Show." That was two months after John F. Kennedy took office as President of the United States. He's obviously the one sitting behind the desk on the left. My grandfather is standing in the back, second from right. This is just one example that reiterates how the people in our family trees aren't just names and dates - they're talents and emotions and experiences, situated in a time and place in history.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, Mary Ellen - My father and your grandfather used to work together on the Orange Bowl parades many many years ago. I have been trying for some time to find your Aunt Betsy - I have so many wonderful memories of traveling to Miami with your grandparents and Betsy. I would love to drop her a line. Can you pass my e-mail address on to her? Or forward me hers (if you arre comfortable with that)?

    I love the picture of Elmer at the White House! Your site is very nice - a lovely tribute.

    Thanks so much -

    Claudia Slocum
    (claudia.slocum@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. diesnaGrandpa Gorry worked at NBC for 35 years, from 1952 until his retirement in 1987.

    ReplyDelete